Over the Fall the city of Louisville celebrated the
Centennial of historic Belle of Louisville Riverboat in October. Folks from all
over the world joined the Centennial Festival of Riverboats that took place in
October on the Ohio River and its banks at Louisville, Kentucky’s
internationally acclaimed Waterfront Park.
The family-friendly events celebrated America’s unique riverboat heritage, and in honor of the historic Belle of Louisville’s 100th birthday, nine riverboats provide the dramatic backdrop for six days of food, bourbon, music and art.
A National Historic Landmark, the Belle of Louisville was originally named the Idlewild when she was built in 1914 to be a ferry and day packet vessel. Completely paddle wheel-driven with a steel hull that draws only 5’ of water, she was able to travel on virtually every navigable inland waterway, earning her the distinction of being the most widely traveled river steamboat in the nation.
Activities To Experience During Your Visit To Louisville:
Try a cruise on the mighty Ohio River, hear live music, sample the finest spirits in the world and experience history firsthand. The birthday festivities include a riverboat parade, live concerts, a taste of Kentucky through local fare and vendors, and a chance to discover new talent through outdoor art displays. By night, gaze at the glowing hot air balloons from the Great Lawn during Belle’s Balloon Glow and enjoy the brilliant spectacle of fire and light during the fireworks show at Belle’s Big Birthday Bash. On the river you can enjoy:
• Delightful Dining: Slow down and enjoy a taste of Kentucky history for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Indulge in a delicious meal while sailing the river on a breathtaking riverboat.
• History and Heritage: Five different tours reveal the story of Louisville’s wharf, the McAlpine Locks system, the worst flood to hit the area in the past century and much more.
• Family-Friendly Cruises: Choose from the Pirate Cruise or Ice Cream Social Cruise and enjoy kids’ activities and a boatload of complimentary goodies.
• Special Events: Louisville host special events throughout the year in town and along the waterfront.
• A Taste of Kentucky: You can get in touch with bluegrass roots as you sip and snack while cruising the Ohio River. From dessert, Kentucky spirits or wine to live music, there’s something for any late-night appetite.
Tickets are on sale at www.festivalofriverboats.com or dial the toll-free number 855-259-0350.
To explore current packages, arts,
recreation, and more to experience in Louisville visit the Louisville
Convention and Visitors Bureau at
Learn more about the Waterfront Park by visiting www.louisvillewaterfront.com.