We're just weeks away from one of the best seafood festival's of the year - the Original Marathon Seafood Festival! Oh, yes, this is a taste bud-tempting way to spend a weekend with the family in the Middle Keys of Florida. If you've been dealing with the winter snow and cold, perhaps, it's time to plan a spring break for Mid March. Pack your sunscreen and sandals because here are six great reason to join this beautiful weekend full of savory seafood temptations to sample!
1. It's a affordable foodie fair - admission is only $5.00 per adult - for the festival held over two-days outdoors at the Marathon Community Park, which gives you lots of opportunities to sample some great food.
2. Local Fishermen turn into chef's during the festival to offer generous portions of food using Keys recipes. Choose from favorite indigenous offerings like mahi-mahi (dorado), Key West pink shrimp, spiny lobster, stone crab claws, smoked fish dip piled atop crackers and much more. Conch is served as ceviche, chowder, crammed into golden-fried fritters or as bun-hugging “konkwurst.”
They also have favorites like hamburgers, hot dogs, sausages, plus sides of baked beans, coleslaw, hush puppies and french fries on the menu in case you're not into seafood.
3. There's no place else where you can try a slice really KEY LIME pie except in the Florida Keys, and they'll have other sweet treats to sample as well.
4. Live music performances are slated all weekend in genres ranging from reggae and calypso to trop rock, country, folk and groove. Also performing are Howard Livingston and Mile Marker 24 Band, who have grown from a local Florida Keys band to nationwide favorite, and will also be playing over the weekend event as well.
5. There will be childrens activities and games, and family-friendly events scheduled throughout the weekend to enjoy.
6. This is a great time to get out for a walk, and explore over 200 booths filled with a variety of wares, nautical items, tropical apparel and accessories, plants, flowers, boats, water sports opportunities and information from local Keys organizations.
And, By joining the Marathon Seafood Festival you're helping support many local and community programs that contribute to scholarships and other organizations.
Thanks for your support!
Plan Your Trip To The Marathon Seafood Festival
To check out the full schedule of events for the
Original Marathon Seafood Festival, and to start planning your trip call 1-800-262-7284 visit their website. For GPS, drive to 12222 Overseas Highway, in Marathon, Florida or Mile Marker #49, and follow the parking signs.
Soak in the sun, dive into some fun, and take a bit of the Florida Keys by planning your trip with options available at the Florida Keys and Key West Visitors Bureau website or call 1-800-FLA-KEYS.
By Melody Schubert and Leroy Worley